Manager, Environmental Heath and SafetyJob ID 1149126800
The Manager of Environmental Affairs reports to the Executive Director, Facilities & Support Services and is responsible for managing the department’s programming, policy/ procedure development, investigations, interdepartmental collaboration, urgent responses, and fiscal management. The Department of Environmental Affairs provides comprehensive environmental health and safety (EH&S) services to the entire hospital community and is responsible for all environmental regulatory compliance, including contacts and negotiations with governmental agencies and accrediting organizations. The Department is also responsible for responses to urgent and emergent situations impacting EH&S, and conducts sophisticated technical investigations when necessary. The Manager oversees day-to-day management of all of these functions and serves as the liaison with departmental leadership, including reporting on EH&S matters and collaborating with departmental leaders on risk assessment, response strategies, program development, hospital-wide communications, and fiscal commitments. The manager is responsible for planning, implementing, and evaluating policies and programs in the areas of fire and life safety, laboratory safety, biosafety, environmental compliance, chemical safety, hazardous waste management, employee exposure monitoring, work practices, and safety training. The Manager also serves as an internal advisor to all hospital departments as needed on all EH&S matters.
About Brigham and Women's Faulkner Hospital
Brigham and Women's Faulkner Hospital is a 171- bed non-profit, community teaching hospital located in Jamaica Plain directly across the street from the Arnold Arboretum. Founded in 1900, Brigham and Women's Faulkner Hospital has a long history of meeting the health care needs of our patients by offering comprehensive care in a wide variety of specialties. At Brigham and Women's Faulkner Hospital, our world revolves around our patients and their families, which is why we’ve been nationally recognized for our best practices in patient care, safety measures and surgical outcomes. If you’re looking for more than a career, join Brigham and Women’s Faulkner Hospital. Our patients call it better care. Our employees call it home.
- Bachelor’s Degree in engineering, in a relevant scientific discipline (e.g., biology, chemistry, medical sciences), or in environmental health preferred
- Certification as a Certified Safety Professional, Certified Industrial Hygienist, or an equivalent, is desirable.
- Wastewater Operator preferred
- Manager should have at least 5 years of progressively responsible experience managing a like effort in a demanding work environment that includes high-level technical and management commitments.
- Experience in a large, urban academic medical environment is desirable
- Is able to perform routine physical activities (such as walking, climbing, lifting and carrying). Is capable of working in personal protective equipment, including a respirator.
- Some duites might involve entry and inspection of confined spaces
Brigham and Women’s Faulkner Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to an employee’s protected status, such as age, race, sex, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, physical or mental disability, veteran status, citizenship, gender identity or expression or sexual orientation.