Security Officer 1- Part-Time EveningsJob ID 3110733904
Schedule: Part-time 20 hours. Sunday - Thursday, 3:00 pm - 7:00 pm
Receiving general direction from the Security Director, Operations Manager, Supervisor or Charge Officer, the incumbent shall provide a safe and secure environment for all Hospital patients, visitors and employees by enforcing Hospital security regulations and by continuously watching for and the timely reporting of any and all safety hazards or unusual occurrences through patrol of assigned areas; furthermore the incumbent shall provide protective service and response for protection of the people and property of the Hospital; is responsible for assisting with the day-to-day operation of Department.
Responsibilites include but are not limited to:
- Provides protection to people and property through patrol, investigation, monitoring alarms and surveillance cameras
- Provides escorts for staff, visitors and patients as requested.
- Apprehends criminal violators when necessary and appropriate.
- Provides emergency response to a variety of situations.
- Applies patient restraints as needed.
- Patrols assigned areas, both buildings and grounds, giving attention to those areas where security problems have occurred. Identify unsafe conditions and improperly secured areas/property to help prevent theft, injuries or damages to Hospital property, patients, visitors and employees. Maintains strict confidentially at all times.
- Conducts preliminary investigations into thefts, shortages and other complaints involving potential criminal misconduct by questioning individuals involved with specific incidents. Keeps supervisor informed at all times.
- Prepares and submit written reports and daily events in a complete, timely and accurate manner.
- Maintains accountability for valuables/property and other forms of evidence, ensures safekeeping and maintains documentation.
- Performs morgue releases.
- Participates in assistance with workplace violence victims; responds to medical emergencies; controls pedestrian and vehicular traffic.
- Acts as a first responder to HazMat incidents.
- Assists motorists with jump starts and lockouts.
- Creates safety awareness among patients, visitors and staff.
- Actively takes part in any Safety and Security quality improvement initiatives.
- Acts as Security Console Operator runner as needed
- Work is fast paced and physically demanding.
- Walks within hospital and around hospital campus; to and from parking areas and buildings on premises in all weather conditions.
- Runs short distances when responding to stat calls and other security emergencies; interacting with patients as needed.
- Stands for long periods of time both indoors and outdoors in all weather conditions.
- Lifts, pulls and pushes when transporting and interacting with patients.
- Potential hazards exist in encounters with physically aggressive patients, visitors and others.
About Brigham and Women's Faulkner Hospital
Brigham and Women's Faulkner Hospital is a 171- bed non-profit, community teaching hospital located in Jamaica Plain directly across the street from the Arnold Arboretum. Founded in 1900, Brigham and Women's Faulkner Hospital has a long history of meeting the health care needs of our patients by offering comprehensive care in a wide variety of specialties. At Brigham and Women's Faulkner Hospital, our world revolves around our patients and their families, which is why we’ve been nationally recognized for our best practices in patient care, safety measures and surgical outcomes. If you’re looking for more than a career, join Brigham and Women’s Faulkner Hospital. Our patients call it better care. Our employees call it home.
- Minimum of a high school diploma required.
- Must possess and maintain a MA driver’s license or valid license from the state in which the employee resides
- Must submit to and pass an annual criminal background check.
- Must obtain prior to end of training period and maintain throughout employment:
- De-Escalation Training and Healthcare Defensive Tactics System (HDTS)-
- Handcuff Tactics (HT)training
- Pepper Spray Defense (PSD) training
- First Aid/CPR/AED- within the first 60 days of hire
- C-Spine Immobilization training
- Must obtain within one year of employment and maintain throughout employment:
- HazMat Levels 1, 2 & 3
- International Association of Healthcare Security and Safety (IAHSS) Basic Officer Certification- As part of the career ladder
- Ensures all required training is up-to-date and maintains individual training records and reports errors to appropriate supervisor or manager.
No experience required, but 1-3 years of security, or related experience preferred
Massachusetts License to Carry Class A
Ability to be licensed as a Special State Police Officer under the Commonwealth of MA General Laws Chapter 22 C, section 63.
A strong educational background (Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree) in criminal justice or related field is preferred. A combination of both experience and education will be considered.
- Staff adheres to all I CARE Standards
- Recognize, acknowledge, respect and effectively interact with people of different ages and cultures, establish positive relationships, gain trust and respect of others.
- Ability to deal with, and effectively deescalate, anxious/stressed people and manage aggression; Effectively manage a high volume of activity.
- Must be able to handle diverse, complex and stressful interpersonal situations and crisis management scenarios.
- Must be able to gather, assemble, analyze, evaluate, and use facts and evidence. Interview victims, complainants, witnesses and suspects.
- Physically must be able to lift patients (approximately 50 pounds) with the help of others, walk at a rapid pace, walk/stand for extended periods of time and withstand adverse weather conditions.
- Strong writing skills to provide and maintain documentation to support data. Intermediate computer skills; typing and use of database software.
- Technology: use of access control and database software, communications equipment, and first aid equipment. Able to trouble shoot systems when necessary.
Brigham and Women’s Faulkner Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to an employee’s protected status, such as age, race, sex, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, physical or mental disability, veteran status, citizenship, gender identity or expression or sexual orientation.
- Unit Service Technician- ICU, Full-Time Nights Boston, Massachusetts 09/01/2020
- Dept. Secretary/Medical Assistant - Full-Time Days Boston, Massachusetts 09/04/2020
- Housekeeper - Per Diem Boston, Massachusetts 09/04/2020
- Laboratory-Med Tech, Blood Bank, FT evenings Boston, Massachusetts 09/04/2020