Nurse Practitioner/Physician Assistant- Ortho Inpatient- Per DiemJob ID 6175140
DescriptionPer Diem NP/PA position on an inpatient surgical service with a primary assignment in Orthopedic/ Spine Surgery. Our mid-level providers experience a significant amount of direct patient care working alongside Harvard Affiliated Orthopedic and Spine Surgeons. The Brigham and Women’s Faulkner Hospitals Orthopedic/ Spine Service is rapidly growing, and is staffed by experts in the areas of foot and ankle, hand and upper extremity, shoulder, joint replacement, sports medicine, spine and neurospine surgery. The group consists of a strong supportive team.
The candidate will support a total of 21 surgeon which include 4 Hand Surgeons, 3 Foot and Ankle Surgeons, 2 Ortho spine surgeons, 1 Neuro Spine Surgeon, 3 General Orthopedic Surgeons, 5 Joints Specialist and 3 Sports Medicine MDs.
Working with a team of 6 established NPs, you will be responsible for inpatient care and management of orthopedic spine patients responsibilities include:
- Daily Rounding, physical assessment, daily management and implementation of care plan
- Medication reconciliation and Medication Orders
- Lab ordering, interpretation and treatment
- Ordering further Diagnostic studies when necessary
- Coordination of care with case management
- Consultation to Medicine, Infectious Disease and other specialties when appropriate
- Discharge planning and coordination of care
- Admissions, transfers and discharge
- Daily progress notes
- Daily signout to Orthopedic Moonlighter covering night and weekend shift
Orthopedic/Spine Consults on other medical or surgical floors as well as in the Emergency Room. Responsibilities include:
- First responder from Ortho Service
- Perform History and Physical
- Interpretation of labs and diagnostic studies
- Implementation of treatment plan, discharge if appropriate, consult Ortho covering Attending when appropriate, and admit when appropriate.
- May perform hematoma blocks, digital blocks, wound care, irrigation and debridement, laceration repair, closed reduction of fracture and dislocations, joint aspirations and joint arthrocentesis.
- Arrange for appropriate follow up care
- Coordinate with consultative services and follow admitted patients daily
- Assist in OR scheduling and obtain consents
Brigham and Women's Faulkner Hospital is a 162 bed non-profit, community teaching hospital located in Jamaica Plain directly across the street from the Arnold Arboretum. Founded in 1900, Brigham and Women's Faulkner Hospital has a long history of meeting the health care needs of our patients by offering comprehensive care in a wide variety of specialties. At Brigham and Women's Faulkner Hospital, our world revolves around our patients and their families, which is why we’ve been nationally recognized for our best practices in patient care, safety measures and surgical outcomes. If you’re looking for more than a career, join Brigham and Women’s Faulkner Hospital. Our patients call it better care. Our employees call it home.
Must be a Graduate of a State-approved program/school for Nurse Practitioners or Physician Assistants and possess licensure as a NP/RN or PA in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. Must have DEA and MA Controlled Substance licenses. Experience reading labs and x-rays preferred. New graduates welcome to apply.
EEO StatementBrigham and Women’s Faulkner Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability.