Lead OR AssistantJob ID 2428279648
Schedule: Full-time 40 hours. Monday - Friday 10:00 am - 6:30 pm
The Lead Operating Room Assistant (ORA)is an integral part of the Surgical Team in providing an optimal environment for surgical patients. The Lead ORA oversees all activities of and ensures that correct standards of practice are performed. The Lead OR ORA provides education and guidance to fellow ORAs and orients new ORAs to their role. The Lead ORA participates with the Nurse Director in planning and implementing improved methods of delivery of ORA tasks and contributes in the performance evaluations of the ORAs. The Lead ORA performs all ORA duties in a competent fashion and is capable of performing all ORA functions as described in the job description below. The Lead ORA reports problems to Charge Nurse/ Nurse Director in a timely manner and participates in problem solving. The Lead ORA coordinates breaks with the Charge Nurse and takes into consideration the timing of room turnover, patient pick up, and PACU transfer responsibilities. The Lead ORA works collaboratively with the team to assure the practice of the Patient and Family Centered Care Model in an environment that exemplifies best practice.
Assists the surgical team pre, intra, and post-operatively by performing activities to promote an efficient delivery of care. These duties are performed under direct supervision of and monitored by the perioperative team as reported to the nurse director. Must be able to perform the following duties and/or direct other operating room assistants to perform them.
Responsibilites include but are not limited to:
- Prepares the OR suites for the daily schedule by setting up required equipment. Moves case equipment as needed with no more than three reported instances of inappropriate set-ups per year.
- Conducts inventory and stocking of linen, solutions and supplies in designated areas.
- Consistently maintains adequate par levels
- Follows procedures for safe transportation of patients. Completes transportation in a timely manner. Seeks appropriate help and equipment for complex transports. Assists in lifting patients to and from the operating room table, stretcher, etc.
- Transports specimens to the appropriate lab in a safe and efficient manner.
- Collaborates with the room staff to retrieve necessary equipment for the safe transfer of patient to PACU.,
- Completes all work assignments in the daily schedule for under general supervision of the charge nurse or director.
- Meets all the needs of the surgical team relative to performing activities which support and promote quality nursing care for the surgical patient.,
- Contributes to effective case turnover. Monitors surgical cases by utilizing case tracking and is readily available in the department to assist.
- Cleans OR’s between cases properly and quickly and in accordance with established policies and procedures. Is available in department to perform job duties without nursing staff having to call more than once. Gathers, transports and properly disposes of trash, soiled linen and contaminated material, per policy.
- Observes equipment for damages and reports when items need to be re-ordered.
- Supervises and directs activities of other operating room assistants and assigns tasks fairly and equitably.
About Brigham and Women's Faulkner Hospital
Brigham and Women's Faulkner Hospital is a 171- bed non-profit, community teaching hospital located in Jamaica Plain directly across the street from the Arnold Arboretum. Founded in 1900, Brigham and Women's Faulkner Hospital has a long history of meeting the health care needs of our patients by offering comprehensive care in a wide variety of specialties. At Brigham and Women's Faulkner Hospital, our world revolves around our patients and their families, which is why we’ve been nationally recognized for our best practices in patient care, safety measures and surgical outcomes. If you’re looking for more than a career, join Brigham and Women’s Faulkner Hospital. Our patients call it better care. Our employees call it home.
- High School Diploma or GED equivalent- required
- Staff adheres to all C.A.R.E. Standards
- Prepares OR Suite according to daily schedule including equipment and supplies
- Follows procedures for safe transportation of patients
- Assists Surgical Team perioperatively by performing activities to promote an efficient delivery of care.
- Completes annual competencies on the following: aseptic, tenent chair, fx table, hip detraction, cysto table, and be able to teach new orderlies.
- Must be able to be on feet for the entirety of shift with the exception of assigned breaks and lunches
- Ability to lift, push, and pull beds, stretchers and other pieces of equipment
- Appropriate knowledge of cleaning solutions and safe use of chemicals in the department
- Ability to read, write, and speak English
Brigham and Women’s Faulkner Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to an employee’s protected status, such as age, race, sex, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, physical or mental disability, veteran status, citizenship, gender identity or expression or sexual orientation.
- Unit Service Technician, ICU, 36 hrs., Nights Boston, Massachusetts 09/01/2020
- Perioperative Float Pool Dept. Secretary/Medical Assistant - Full-time, 40 hrs, Days Boston, Massachusetts 09/04/2020
- Food Service Worker- Weekend Evenings Boston, Massachusetts 09/04/2020
- Housekeeper- Part Time, Weekend Evenings Boston, Massachusetts 09/04/2020