Interpreter - Portuguese, Per DiemJob ID 53805802720
Schedule: Portuguese Interpreter. Per Diem
- Responsible for assessing the needs of non-English speaking and hearing impaired patients and providing assistance by interpretation of consent forms, diagnoses, discharge plans and any other type of patient-related information and patient / provider encounters.
- Responsible for immediately and effectively answering requests for face to face or telephone interpretations for all types of encounters throughout the hospital, with a priority for emergency and more urgent requests,
- Interprets and transmits accurately and in understandable terms, complex medical information from medical providers to patients, including interpretation and written translation of consent forms, diagnoses, discharge plans and any other type of patient-related information. Interprets and transmits accurately and in understandable terms information from patients to medical providers.
- Assists patients throughout the hospital system in a professional and courteous manner. Provides this assistance to every patient who speaks the Interpreter’s language and, if necessary refers the patient to the appropriate resource.
- Assists physicians and medical providers in procedures that require a calm and well-informed patient.
- Maintains an environment that promotes collaborative work relationships and provides assistance to other Interpreter Services personnel as needed.
- Accepts and processes assignments for his/her language and other languages. This task may include answering telephones, logging information, contacting interpreters from office files and/or other approved sources, and securing follow-up in a timely manner.
- Independently resolves most issues that arise in their daily responsibilities, answers questions about protocols and makes appropriate referrals without direct supervision.
- Maintains complete and accurate written and computerized records of services rendered and statistics of all patient related information.
- Performs related duties as required.
Brigham and Women’s Faulkner Hospital, an affiliate of Mass General Brigham, is committed to supporting patient care, research, teaching, and service to the community. We place great value on being a diverse, equitable and inclusive organization as we aim to reflect the diversity of the patients we serve. At Mass General Brigham, we believe in equal access to quality care, employment and advancement opportunities encompassing the full spectrum of human diversity: race, gender identity, sexual orientation, ability, religion, ethnicity, national origin and all the other forms of human presence and expression that make us better able to provide innovative and cutting-edge healthcare and research.
Brigham and Women's Faulkner Hospital is a 171- bed non-profit, community teaching hospital located in Jamaica Plain directly across the street from the Arnold Arboretum. Founded in 1900, Brigham and Women's Faulkner Hospital offers comprehensive care in a wide variety of specialties. Brigham and Women’s Faulkner Hospital is a designated Magnet hospital by the American Nurses Credentialing Center, a recognition that fewer than nine percent of all US hospitals receive.
At Brigham and Women’s Faulkner Hospital, we believe that everyone should have the chance to live a healthy life. From creating breakthroughs that have paved the way for treatments around the globe to training the next generation of providers, our patients, and those we may never meet, are at the center of everything we do. If you’re looking for more than a career, join Brigham and Women’s Faulkner Hospital. Our patients call it better care. Our employees call it home.
- Associate’s Degree preferred. High School Diploma or equivalent required.
- Prior training of medical terminology and interpreting skills.
- National Certification required
- Two years of health care related experience in a position of direct patient contact preferred.
- Fluency of English and Portuguese, both written and verbal
- Knowledge of culture-specific care
- Exposure to high degree of informative medical technology.
- Fast pace and demanding environment.
- Frequent interruptions and small office setting.
Brigham and Women’s Faulkner Hospitalis an Affirmative Action Employer. By embracing diverse skills, perspectives and ideas, we choose to lead. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religious creed, national origin, sex, age, gender identity, disability, sexual orientation, military service, genetic information, and/or other status protected under law. We will ensure that all individuals with a disability are provided a reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.
- Emergency Department Nurse Boston, Massachusetts 08/12/2022
- Ambulatory Clinical Educator Boston, Massachusetts 02/10/2023
- Critical Care Float Pool Nurse Boston, Massachusetts 05/17/2023
- Unit Service Technician- Part-time Day/Night Rotation Boston, Massachusetts 05/17/2023