Critical Care Physician Assistant/ Nurse Practitioner- Medicine, Full TimeJob ID 14189916800
Schedule 7:00 AM-7:30 PM, Monday-Saturday, The PA/NP schedule may require long workdays while maintaining a goal of 40 hours/week on average. PA/NPs may be required to cover weekends, holidays and sick call on a rotational basis.
ICU Clinical Duties
- Closely collaborate with the ICU physician to admit new patients into the BWFH ICU
- Assist the ICU physician on daily patient rounds, to monitor patient care and formulate treatment plans
- Write daily progress notes
- Implement attending physician instructions for patient management in close cooperation with nursing staff
- Perform all core ICU procedures within the PA/NP scope of practice as directed by the attending; participate in the highly supervised ICU procedural training and maintenance-of-competency programs
- Order and interpret appropriate laboratory testing and other special examinations as requested
- Serve as a resource to the health care team for patient care issues
- Prepare succinct and accurate sign-out to facilitate the smooth transition of patient care from one PA/NP to another PA/NP or physician
- Assist in the evaluation of potential ICU admissions from the inpatient units at BWFHGeneral Duties
Work collaboratively and function as an efficient member of the BWFH ICU team
- Assist in the coordination of consultation of other sub-specialists involved in the care of ICU patients
- Provide education to patients and families
- Document in the medical record as appropriate and communicate observations/findings with attending physicians
- Monitor environment of care and comply with regulatory agency standards
- Ensure that his or her clinical practice is consistent with physician assistant and or APRN policies, procedures and standards
- Participate in QA/QI projects as appropriate
Brigham and Women’s Faulkner Hospital, an affiliate of Mass General Brigham, is committed to supporting patient care, research, teaching, and service to the community. We place great value on being a diverse, equitable and inclusive organization as we aim to reflect the diversity of the patients we serve. At Mass General Brigham, we believe in equal access to quality care, employment and advancement opportunities encompassing the full spectrum of human diversity: race, gender, sexual orientation, ability, religion, ethnicity, national origin and all the other forms of human presence and expression that make us better able to provide innovative and cutting-edge healthcare and research.
Brigham and Women's Faulkner Hospital is a 171- bed non-profit, community teaching hospital located in Jamaica Plain directly across the street from the Arnold Arboretum. Founded in 1900, Brigham and Women's Faulkner Hospital offers comprehensive care in a wide variety of specialties. Brigham and Women’s Faulkner Hospital is a designated Magnet hospital by the American Nurses Credentialing Center, a recognition that fewer than nine percent of all US hospitals receive.
At Brigham and Women’s Faulkner Hospital, we believe that everyone should have the chance to live a healthy life. From creating breakthroughs that have paved the way for treatments around the globe to training the next generation of providers, our patients, and those we may never meet, are at the center of everything we do. If you’re looking for more than a career, join Brigham and Women’s Faulkner Hospital. Our patients call it better care. Our employees call it home.
Completion of a master’s or post master’s degree in acute care, adult or family NP program accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) or the National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (NLNAC)
Current certification by the American Nurses Credentialing Center or an equivalent body. Current active licensure to practice in the expanded role in the state of Massachusetts.
One year of relevant full time experience as a PA/NP in this specialty, preferred.
Other previous hands on patient care experience may be considered at the discretion of the Medical Director
Medical knowledge includes an understanding of pathophysiology, patient presentation, differential diagnosis, patient management, surgical principles, health promotion and disease prevention. The PA/NP must demonstrate core knowledge about established and evolving biomedical and clinical sciences and the application of this knowledge to patient care in their area of practice. In addition, the PA/NP is expected to demonstrate an investigatory and analytic thinking approach to clinical situations.
Brigham and Women’s Faulkner Hospitalis an Affirmative Action Employer. By embracing diverse skills, perspectives and ideas, we choose to lead. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religious creed, national origin, sex, age, gender identity, disability, sexual orientation, military service, genetic information, and/or other status protected under law. We will ensure that all individuals with a disability are provided a reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.