Chief Medical Officer/VP Medical AffairsJob ID 4811508544
Brigham and Women’s Faulkner Hospital (BWFH) seeks a physician executive responsible for the overall medical affairs of the hospital as its Chief Medical Officer (CMO) and Vice President of Medical Affairs.
Reporting to President of BWFH and the Chief Medical Officer of Brigham and Women’s Hospital (BWH) and partnering closely with the BWH Chief Quality and Safety Officer (CQSO), the CMO is responsible for assuring the overall integration and coordination of medical care of BWFH by providing a physician executive's knowledge and perspective to the BWFH senior leadership team. The CMO provides leadership and medical expertise in the areas of patient safety and clinical outcomes, infection control, risk management, regulatory compliance, credentialing, biomedical engineering, Pharmacy management, utilization review, professionalism, patient-family centered care and clinical program development. The CMO is a critical partner with the Chief Nursing Officer (CNO) and the Vice President of Clinical Programs in cultivating an environment of superior quality, care, and service excellence. The CMO and CNO co-chair the Quality Steering Committee, and oversee the BWFH’s clinical quality agenda, including creating consistent performance targets and metrics, setting standards of care, managing and maximizing patient census, measuring and improving clinical outcomes, and disseminating best practice guidelines and protocols where applicable.
The CMO serves as an advocate for the medical staff and all physician groups to ensure each provider has the necessary resources to perform the highest level of patient care. The CMO is responsive to the concerns and needs of the medical staff and its leadership, clinical department Chiefs, physician trainees, and hospital administration. The CMO works closely with senior management, clinical leadership, medical staff officers, and patients to instill positive change in the organization’s culture.
The CMO has direct oversight for Pharmacy Services and supervises the Pharmacy Director to set annual quality, service, efficiency, cost management, and program development goals. Key areas of focus include helping to inform drug policies, sourcing and inventory management strategies, clinical guideline and order set development, formulary management, and cost reduction initiatives that require physician engagement.
The CMO will be the catalyst to hard-wire a culture that strives for clinical excellence across the enterprise. The CMO will be responsible for driving and implementing performance
improvement changes, informed by measured outcomes to fulfill BWFH’s mission and obligation to its patients. As Mass General Brigham continues to evolve as an integrated academic health care system, the CMO will assume—as assigned—formal and informal system-wide responsibilities related to medical affairs, quality and safety both individually and in conjunction with the CMO’s counterparts in other Mass General Brigham hospitals and entities. While the primary focus of the CMO will be on the medical affairs at BWFH, the CMO will be expected to embrace high-visibility BWH and system leadership roles as the need arises.
The successful candidate will be a physician with a proven track-record of management and leadership in a complex and high performing community hospital or academic medical center. The CMO will be regarded as the engine and champion for clinical excellence, quality, and patient safety. The ideal candidate is an enterprising, visible, transparent and decisive leader and communicator who can foster relationships and collaboration across the BWH and Mass General Brigham.
The CMO will be expected to maintain a modest clinical practice in their specialty on the BWFH campus. This role is envisioned as being approximately 80% administrative and 20% clinical, with at least 80% of the CMO’s professional time being spent on the BWFH campus.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
• Develop effective physician communication strategies that inform and link all BWFH physicians, including forums that promote information exchange, networking, team building, and professional development.
• Create and strengthen a robust culture of professionalism throughout BWFH, including strategies to “prevent, identify, mitigate, and intervene” with regards to disruptive or unacceptable staff behavior.
• Meet regularly to coach, support, and partner with the nine BWFH department Chiefs, and the Medical Staff Officers; confidentially review sentinel events, patient or staff complaints, etc. directly involving the Chiefs.
• Ensure medical staff and organizational adherence to all compliance, regulatory, and licensing guidelines promulgated by federal, state, and local agencies, including Joint Commission, CMS, DPH, BORM, etc.
• In partnership with department Chiefs, the BWH CMO, Physician Services, and the Joint BWH Credentialing Committee, ensure that robust processes for initial application, re-credentialing, OPPE, and FPPE reviews are sustained and continually enhanced.
• Ensure systematic performance monitoring occurs within all departments and associated improvement plans are successfully implemented.
• Develop the leadership capacity of all current and future medical staff leaders.
• In concert with BWH training programs, coordinate overall campus medical student, GME, and CME strategies to support the ongoing BWFH strategic commitment to education.
• Serve as a point of contact and expertise to guide inquiries about clinical research opportunities and programs on the BWFH campus, in conjunction with BWH and Mass General Brigham Research Affairs.
• Align with system goals to measure/promote wellness and mitigate burnout for faculty.
• Lead, support, and advance the practice and develop of the BWFH Advanced Practice Professional (APP) team.
Quality and Safety
• Collaborate with department Chiefs, providing leadership and medical expertise to accomplish benchmark level clinical performance.
• Monitor inpatient and ambulatory satisfaction results and establish with the medical staff a benchmark level of physician engagement and service excellence.
• Work with department Chiefs and Patient/Family Relations on physician- and system-related patient and family complaints, with an emphasis on understanding trends, and associated opportunities for improvement.
• Serve as a resource to department Chiefs and other medical leaders/directors in organizing and presenting quality review and peer review materials.
• Develop and lead the peer review process and work to improve the coordinated efforts of all medical staff departments to continually monitor and improve quality of patient care.
• Work closely with the BWH CQO and BWPO leadership to improve quality, coordination, and efficiency of care and align goals across the BWH and Mass General Brigham enterprise.
• Align Patient Experience Score goals and Quality goals with overall Mass General Brigham and BWH goals.
• Ensure the realization of annual BWFH, BWH and Mass General Brigham strategic goals, especially as relates to seamless care delivery across the integrated family and campuses.
• Work with the BWFH President and BWH CMO to advance clinical integration within and between departments at BWFH and BWH.
• Develop and implement innovative care delivery strategies that maximize the efficiencies of providing care under a broad range of reimbursement models, from fee-for-service to risk-sharing models
• Actively participate and contribute as the senior physician member of the BWFH senior leadership team, including critical aspects of operating, capital, HR, IS, space, master campus planning and budgeting work.
• Recruit, train, supervise and ensure the professional development of staff within the CMO’s organizational structure.
• Evaluate and standardizes procedures and effectively troubleshoots and resolves issues as they arise; responsible for making managers aware of policy and procedure changes.
• Develop and implement change management programs including efficiency and resource utilization projects.
• Reviews salary and wage issues.
• Implements corrective action as necessary.
• Ensures that all performance evaluations are completed in a timely manner and in compliance with hospital and departmental compensation plans.
• Develops, implements, oversees and approves departmental policies, procedures and systems and revises as necessary to maximize efficiency.
• Serves as the physician-leader face for BWFH when local, national or international media requests and public communication needs arise.
• Provides expert clinical resources as needed to both internal and external requestors.
• Works with the BWH Department Chairs and hospital leadership in developing and maintaining a quality clinical training program within the hospital.
• Participates in administrative discussions on issues that may impact training and educational needs and ensures that the potential impact on these needs are considered as part of the decision-making process.
• Chiefs Council
• Medical Staff Peer Review Committee
• Quality Steering Committee (with CNO)
• Innovation Unit initiative Dyad/Triad Committee (with CNO)
• Utilization Review Committee
• Others as assigned
• Senior Staff Team
• Professionalism and Employee Relations Team (PERT) with BWH
• Mass General Brigham CMO Council
• Mass General Board Quality Committee
• Brigham Health Care Improvement Council
• Medical Staff Executive Committee
• Compliance Steering Committee
• Clinical Strategic Planning Steering Committee
• BWFH Leadership Council
• IS Steering Committee
• Pharmacy & Therapeutics Committee
• Patient and Family Advisory Council
• ICU Committee
• Health Record Policy Committee
• Privacy & Security Committee
• Cultural Competency Steering Committee
• Medical Library Advisory Committee
• Patient Experience Oversight Committee
• Others as assigned
Brigham and Women's Faulkner Hospital is a 171 bed non-profit, community teaching hospital located in Jamaica Plain directly across the street from the Arnold Arboretum. Founded in 1900, Brigham and Women's Faulkner Hospital has a long history of meeting the health care needs of our patients by offering comprehensive care in a wide variety of specialties. At Brigham and Women's Faulkner Hospital, our world revolves around our patients and their families, which is why we’ve been nationally recognized for our best practices in patient care, safety measures and surgical outcomes. If you’re looking for more than a career, join Brigham and Women’s Faulkner Hospital. Our patients call it better care. Our employees call it home.
Education and Certifications
• Doctor of Medicine or Doctor of Osteopathy degree
• Licensure in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts
• DEA certification
• Strong clinical competency plus significant clinical practice experience
• Malpractice insurance meeting the requirements specified by Mass General Brigham and Brigham and Women’s Physicians Organization
• Evidence of continuing medical education
• Qualifications suitable for an academic appointment at the Harvard Medical School
Knowledge and Work Experience
• Substantial record of medical management experience, ideally in a complex, high performing community hospital with a focus on exceptional patient care.
• Experience working in partnership with multiple constituents throughout an organization. This includes achieving consensus through presentations, thought leadership, partnership, and relationship building throughout the organization.
• Working knowledge of applicable standards and requirements of regulatory, accreditation and licensing agencies.
• A strong reputation as a respected clinician.
• Past experience with EPIC is especially welcome.
Leadership Skills and Competencies
• Analytical abilities to resolve complex problems requiring the application of scientific, mathematical, clinical and management principles, theories and concepts and in-depth experience-based knowledge, including the ability to develop short- and long-range plans and solve complex, multidimensional problems.
• Refined leadership skills to advance and coordinate the achievement of organizational objectives through the efforts of others, and to initiate activities, direct and manage teams, professional and non-professional staff, etc.
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills to represent BWFH, BWH, the BWPO, and Mass General Brigham in legal proceedings, negotiate with and persuade others on issues and programs that impact departments, manage large diverse groups of employees, and perform other duties requiring a comparable level of communication skill.
• Exceptional organizational skills and the flexibility to handle multiple tasks and deadline pressures.
• Ability to provide support, direction and development to staff at all levels.
• Ability to make decisions quickly and independently.
• Ability to handle sensitive and confidential information.
• Comfort with presentation delivery to multi-disciplinary internal and external customers and colleagues as well as domestic and international colleagues, donors and stakeholders.
• A systems thinker who is able to “connect the dots” quickly and implement initiatives across multiple units. Proven creative problem-solving skills with the willingness to take the initiative in leading and managing change; able to execute, not just theorize.
• Is courageous and willing to have crucial conversations and is prepared for resistance to change. Can embrace the opinions of others yet stand their ground when required for the advancement of the program.
• Possesses a sense of humor and positive attitude; an enthusiastic disposition and high energy level.
Brigham and Women’s Faulkner Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability.
- Unit Service Technician- ICU, Full-Time Nights Boston, Massachusetts 09/01/2020
- Dept. Secretary/Medical Assistant - Full-Time Days Boston, Massachusetts 09/04/2020
- Housekeeper - Per Diem Boston, Massachusetts 09/04/2020
- Laboratory-Med Tech, Blood Bank, FT evenings Boston, Massachusetts 09/04/2020