Assistant Nurse Director, Ambulatory ServicesJob ID 11250541840
The Assistant Nurse Director (AND), Ambulatory Services is an important member of the unit-based leadership team in clinical practice environments to extend leadership presence and provide clinical support. Under the leadership/direction of the Nurse Director and in partnership with Administrative and Physician leadership the AND supports translating the vision and values of the department for the purpose of meeting the needs of patients and families and in creating a therapeutic, healing patient/family centered practice environment. The AND helps to develop staff, assists with assessing clinical patterns within populations, and facilitates mobilization/allocation of resources to meet the needs of patients and families. The AND may perform leadership functions as developmentally appropriate under the mentorship and coaching of the nurse director and may be assigned the management of specific projects.
At Brigham and Women’s Faulkner, we place great value on being a diverse and inclusive community. Mass General Brigham and the Department of Nursing are dedicated to diversity, equity and inclusion as we aim to reflect the diversity of the patients in our local community. We have a dedicated focus on equity. Thus, we believe in equal access to quality care, employment and advancement opportunities encompassing the full spectrum or human diversity: race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, national origin and all the other forms of human presence and expression that make us better able to provide innovative and cutting-edge healthcare and research.
PRINCIPLE DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Builds strong, positive, collaborative partnerships with all stakeholders including Administrative, Physician and Nursing leadership.
- Moves forward initiatives effectively at the unit, institution and organization level.
- Models positive, adaptable leadership and cultivates this in others.
- Serves as a positive agent for change.
- Strongly supports Diversity, Equity and Inclusion and a healthy work environment.
- PROFESSIONAL PRACTICE ENVIRONMENT
- Provides support in the environment to facilitate excellent nursing practice
- Promotes and supports the Department of Nursing and organization vision as well as unit-based mission, values, and goals in alignment with the larger MGB organization.
- Facilitates collaboration and effective communication and respect for diverse perspectives through role-modeling and coaching clinical staff and members of the interprofessional team.
- Participates in daily huddles/rounds with clinical staff for the purpose of clinical consultation, coaching, and problem-solving
- PERSONNEL MANAGEMENT
- Manages day to day staffing based on unit-based guidelines approved by the nurse director.
- Manages resources in a changing environment by allocating resources to respond to dynamic changes in patient census and acuity.
- Provides guidance to clinical staff on patient assignments with continuity of care and knowing the patient as a core value in addition to facilitating the development of clinical staff
- Participates in scheduling and approving requests from clinical staff under the direction of the nurse director
- Participates in the investigation and administration of corrective action under the direction of the nurse director/nurse administrator
- Provides nurse director with recommendation for corrective action and performance improvement plans
- Provides nurse director with recommendations for evaluations for clinical staff
- Provides support to staff in clinical support roles under the direction of the nurse director
- Performs evaluations of support staff under the direction of the nurse director
- Develops education and training for support staff and works with nurse director to integrate these groups into the larger interprofessional team
- CLINICAL LEADERSHIP
- Functions as a clinical expert emulating the vision and mission of the Department of Nursing.
- Works to operationalize initiatives in the clinical areas in collaboration with Nursing, Administrative and Physician leadership.
- Interprets policies and procedures for staff members.
- Implements and monitors unit-based and organizational standards in alignment with MGB partners.
- Facilitates and expedites patient flow to ensure that patients and families receive appropriate and timely care
- PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT
- Participates in self-performance appraisal in ongoing manner.
- Seeks feedback from his/her respective nurse director and other colleagues
- Shares strengths and areas to be developed with others
- Identifies opportunities to continue to develop leaderships skills and expertise
- Understands stages of nursing practice development
- Provides developmentally appropriate coaching and clinical consultation to clinical staff
- Supports all staff in identifying and participating in professional developmental activities
6. PROJECT MANAGEMENT
- Provides leadership and participates in projects under the direction of the nurse directorwith a clear focus on improving the operation of the unit, and adapting best practices from various sources including MGB institutions and the literature.
- Promotes and assists with the implementation of clinical practice changes and quality initiatives on the patient care unit
- Engages clinical staff in the implementation and evaluation of clinical practice changes on the patient care unit
- Staff adheres to all I C.A.R.E. Standards.
- Fosters an environment of professional practice, teamwork and accountability.
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office including Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint.
- Knowledge of Epic tools including ambulatory apps such as Cadence, referral work queues, billing and documentation as well as reporting.
- Able to work independently and as part of a team.
- Analytical ability to solve clinical nursing issues and conduct quality improvement and evidence-based projects.
- Organizational skills to set priorities and to proficiently complete assigned workload.
- Ability to work well under pressure due to critical patient care issues, changing organizational climate and personnel issues.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills to give clear direction, coaching and feedback to staff. Excellent customer service skills.
- Ability to work well with others in a culturally diverse environment.
- BSN required.
- MSN (or) DNP (or) PhD, (or) a BSN with a master’s degree in a related field, required.
LICENSES, CERTIFICATIONS, and/or REGISTRATIONS
- Current Massachusetts Registered Nurse License required.
- Certification in Basic Life Support for Healthcare Providers required.
- 5+ years nursing experience required.
- Previous leadership experience with demonstrated staff supervision ability required. Management experience preferred.
- Must have extensive knowledge of Ambulatory clinical practices, workflows, and operations.
- Continually updates clinical knowledge and skills through formal and informal education and review of the current literature.
- Must work well independently, have sound decision making skills and work effectively with and through inter-professional colleagues when required to make and facilitate complex decisions.
- Excellent communication skills and strong team player.
- Must exercise a high degree of professional judgment within the scope of licensure.
- Possess interpersonal skills to interact effectively across roles, teams and departments.
- Possess ability to manage critical issues relating to patient care and changing organizational climate.
Responsible for supervising directly and indirectly registered nurses, technical and support personnel.
Brigham and Women’s Faulkner Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to an employee’s protected status, such as age, race, sex, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, physical or mental disability, veteran status, citizenship, gender identity or expression or sexual orientation.
- Dept. Secretary/Medical Assistant - Full-Time Days Boston, Massachusetts 09/04/2020
- Housekeeper - Per Diem Boston, Massachusetts 09/04/2020
- Laboratory-Med Tech, Blood Bank, FT evenings Boston, Massachusetts 09/04/2020
- Perioperative Float Pool Dept. Secretary/Medical Assistant - Full-Time Days Boston, Massachusetts 09/04/2020